For these donations I would thank you from the bottom of my heart, but for you my heart has no bottom.
How can I help?
If you would like, in any way, to help with our initiative, here is a list of the items and materials TAGI uses to create these beautiful bereavement gowns. Although the list may appear extensive, any contribution is welcome.
ITEMS OF GREAT NEED:
Gowns, dresses, fabrics and trims:
- All wedding gowns and formal dresses, be it a skirt and top combo or a one-piece gown, are welcome, regardless of size, design, age or condition.
- Types of fabrics that are traditionally used for wedding and formal gowns work best, such as all forms of silks, satins, charmeuse, taffeta and lace. For the lining anything in cotton, rayon, pongee and taffeta-lining are welcome. For trim we welcome all forms of chiffon, organza, lace, ribbon, beads etc.
- The colours most sought after are all forms of white, cream, ivory and those neutral types, second to that we have very favourable responses with all muted colours such as lavender, pastel green, blue, pink, soft yellow etc.
- If you have a gown or fabric you wish to donate but are uncertain please feel free to contact us directly via email at email@example.com with pictures attached and we will be glad to assess it and advise on suitability.
Other materials for the repurposing process:
- 6mm wide double satin ribbon in white and cream is most needed. A total of 80cm is stitched into the back of each Angel Gown™ for closure. Other types of ribbon are also welcome; if we can't use it for tie backs, it will be used as trim.
- Stitching cottons in white and cream is most needed. Brands that work best and which are most needed for the Angel Gown™ garments are Coats, Gütermann, Mettler, Polycore and Seralon. Of course, all other brands are welcome and if they aren't suitable for machine sewing, they will be used for hand sewing. These are available at most fabric and haberdashery shops.
- Schmetz Microtex stitching needles in sizes 8, 10 and 12 are perfect.
- We appreciate gift cards such as the none-shop-specific debit cards available at most malls as they are easier to use at different suppliers. Donors are welcome to contact us for a list of frequently used suppliers should they wish to donate a gift card specific to an individual supplier.
- We also appreciate any monetary donation you are able to part with. As a registered PBO we are allowed to issue Section 18A Certificates for tax purposes. Our banking details are:
Account type: Cheque
Account number: 62758360269
Branch: Somerset Mall
Branch code: 200912
Materials for packaging:
Angel Gown™ garments, dependent on the requirement, are either individually packaged or are presented free to hospitals in larger packs to assist with storage and space limitations:
- 15mm – 20mm wide satin ribbon in pastel pink (for girls) and pastel blue (for boys) are used for wrapping the completed garment before packaging, using a total of 1.3m per Angel Gown™.
- 190mm x 250mm + 25mm resealable cellophane envelopes for packing available from Merrypak and PNA.
- 25mm x 19mm self-adhesive rectangular stickers (the brand we use is Tower) to colour code the different sizes. We use the following colours; bottle green, orange, purple and bright yellow. If you wish to assist with these please contact us for colour samples.
- 305mm x 420mm ziplock bags are used to hold together 1 full starter set (8 Angel Gown™ garments).
- Depending on the amount of sets we ship to a hospital, boxes (available at Box-It) in the following sizes are required:
- 300mm x 230mm x 300mm
- 400mm x 270mm x 75mm
Other services and skills:
- A great deal of colour printing and paperwork is required for the initiative. A print sponsorship would be of immense help. Printing work currently needed includes the following:
- Every Angel Gown™ is folded around an A5 condolence card that also includes a handwritten message for the parents.
- For public awareness we have A4 posters that are handed out at establishments for public display, as well as folded pamphlets for individual use.
- We would like to set up a network of volunteers with sewing experience who would consider donating their time in helping with the repurposing process.
- As the initiative grows we will also need people to help with the wrapping and packing process Helderberg area only.
- Although we do our best to market The Angel Gown™ Initiative as far and wide as we can, people with marketing skills or connections to the media would also be greatly appreciated to help us spread the word. The more donations and volunteers we receive, the more families we will be able to help.
- If you find yourself with a skill set that is not listed here, but would like to assist us, please feel free to contact us. As our list of needs are already so extensive we only listed the support that we need on a regular basis, but there are many other areas with which we need help and would appreciate assistance.
It may seem a lot but the need is great. If you are able to contribute in any way, no matter how small, please know that the good it does at a time of great sadness, is immense. No family plans for the tragedy of a premature death. Your help makes this terrible time more bearable and confers enormous dignity and grace at an occasion of terrible grief.